Thursday, May 13, 2010

Breaking down Talladega-Part 1: "I was thinking about it...That could have been one of the most awesome experiences I've ever had." -Will Speight

After years of dreaming and planning, a NASCAR dream was finally fulfilled.  We got to see a race at Talladega. 

I'll get all the boring NASCAR details out of the way first for those of you that aren't enlightened to the greatest spectator sport in America.  And as the greatest spectator event in America, it should go without saying that by default, it's the greatest spectator sport in the world.  Anyway, the camping was as well organized and as well mapped out as I have seen. Easy entrance, easy exit, good times.  The speedway was incredibly clean and nice, and there wasn't a bad seat in the house.  Also, Talladega has far and away the best sound system I've heard at a speedway.  Kevin Harvick won the race, and I'm pumped for Richard Childress Racing.  Also, maybe Harvick's wife didn't beat him after a race for a change...I've heard she's feisty.

Now, on to the stuff that really matters.  How can I describe the atmosphere?  It was like Mardi Gras met the TV program "Hee Haw" met a gun and knife show. 

The absolutely insane Cory Willis and the certified lunatic Will Speight met the NASCAR newbie Jon Handy and myself at the Wal-Mart in the city of Talladega.  We did have to secure some basic provisions, but I think mostly, any NASCAR weekend should start at Wal-Mart.  The wide array of NASCAR clothing and head gear led Speight to say, "If we don't get out of here soon, I'm going to spend all of my money on Dale Jr. gear."  So, we expedited.  Jon, who in addition to being a finance PhD student, is also a photographer, an avid reader, a skateboarder, a carpenter, and a chef ran down a basic checklist to make sure we had the food items we needed.  Chuck made sure we had all the "water" we needed, and after that we were ready to go to the speedway campground.  When we started to set up, Cory realized that some rat scoundrel had taken the tarp and other key accessories for his tent.  Soooo, Speight and I went back to Wal-Mart partly to tie up loose ends but mostly because two trips to Wal-Mart in a day are better than one.  On the way back, we bought firewood from a very large bald man on the side of the road who had a slight majority of his teeth left.  "That guy up there will charge you 5 more dollars for less firewood" he said.  "He's a jerk.  Ya'll from North Carolina?  I love Dale Jr."  What else could a man say to make us trust him?  He has 2 customers for life.  To the campsite we returned.

Our neighbors on one side were from Alabama.  To the other side, we had new friends from Indianapolis.  We all liked to party, so we ended up in the "North Camping Lot" which is always set aside for that...seriously.  Go to talladegasuperspeedway.com. Check out the camping information. It will ask "What will you will be camping in?"  Then "Where are your seats in the speedway?"  Then..."What kind of atmosphere are you looking for?"  Your answer choices for this question are: 

A.  I prefer to party with my friends and camper neighbors.  (Bingo)
B.  I am bringing my family and we are making a family vacation out of this trip.  (really?  ill-advised vacation)
C.  I like to have a good time, but I also like to sleep to get ready for the race.   (lame-o)

We picked A.  Duh.  You can tell that the North Camping Lot is set aside for partying because it is adjacent to I-20 and no sleep is possible unless it is induced via low sobriety levels, medication, or a pop-knot to the forehead because you stared at some maniac's wife the wrong way.  Truckers and people that thought they were clever honked all day and all night. 

Right as camp got set up and the canopy was secured above our royal lawn chairs, it began to rain.  Beverages and a friendly game of Spades would be all she wrote for Friday night.  The rain got harder and harder, and finally at 2 or 3 in the AM, Chuck, Speight and myself called it a night.  Jon had peeled off a bit earlier and had the foresight to sleep in his car...The rest of us should have been so lucky.  I've never tried to sleep in a kiddy pool, but I think if I did, it would be pretty much like our camping experience that Friday night.  For at least an hour, the 3 of us in the tent exchanged pleasantries such as:
- "My underwear is wet."
- "Well, this couldn't be much more miserable."
- "This rules."
- "My socks are wet."
- "Who's idea was this?"
-  "I'm having a great time."
- "Do you think we'll make it?"
- "Is that a fish swimming in the corner?"
- "My entire bag of clothes for the whole weekend is wet."
- "Could you knock me out so I can get some sleep?  Seriously.  Just hit me right here (pointed to temple) as hard as you can."

Now, it may seem like our camping experience was awful...But friends, this was just Friday night.  So much was yet to come.

No comments: